Thursday I had my first appointment at the Fibro Clinic (FFC). It went really well.
First we met with a nurse. She spent about 20 min. with me listening to my concerns and marking my chart.
Then the doctor met with us for about 1 hour and 20 min. He was SO thorough. Answered all my questions and listened to all of my concerns. He explained everything he wants to do in a step-by-step process. He addressed all of my questions and concerns. It was very good.
I had ALL of my blood work drawn, instead of splitting it up between the first 2 visits, because I will not have insurance the next time I go. The clinic is a holistic alternative medicine clinic, so I have to pay most things out of pocket, but not labs. They drew 34 vials of blood!
I had to list the top 5 things I'd like to work on first. Pain and fatigue were the top 2, and that is where they will start. Also foggy brain, weight gain issues and a personal issue were the next 3. He will start with the first two and await blood work results.
The most important thing is sleep. The body cannot repair and heal itself without going into deep sleep. Well, I never sleep more than 1 or 1 1/2 hours without waking up, so my body is not restoring and healing itself.
He gave me a natural supplement called Rest and Restore to take at bedtime. I am taking 2 right now but can take up to 6. It has melatonin and valerian root in it. He also gave me a script for Ambien. I am to start with 1/2 and take 1 whole tablet at bedtime if needed. I have reservations about sleeping meds, but am willing to do what it takes to be better. Last night is the first night I slept 8 solid hours in years and years! It was lovely.
He also gave me a script for pain, and I am having some side effect issues from it. Mostly dizziness. I am not sure if it is a temporary issue or not. I have a call into the doctor and they are checking on it for me.
I am also taking some other supplements. In Harmony, which has some Bs, St. John's Wart and 5-HTP. I did start taking SAM-e 2 months ago, and he wanted me to continue that also. I am not willing to take scripts for depression because the side effects are not worth it, so we're going the natural route for this.
I'm taking a powdered vitamin supplement since it is more easily absorbable. And a couple things for energy and to help with the pain and fatigue.
He was very happy with my diet. I had to take a food journal with me. He sees no reason why I should not be losing weight and thinks it is most likely my hormones and will be waitingfor thyroid tests to come back. He also thinks my adrenal and reproductive hormones are out of what. If that is the case, they will be treating them with bio identical hormone therapy.
I go back in May.
I am almost over the respitory thing. Gram, that is why I haven't called. I've not had a voice for days!
6 comments:
Oh my Kelly. I didn't know that you were sick. Sooo sorry and looking forward to May 1
Kelly I am so glad that you finally are getting help. I shall pray that all goes well for you. Love you grndmb
Glad you have a dr that you are comfortable with and who has made a plan!
I'm so glad you are getting some help!! You must be so encouraged. :)
Kelly, My mom has fibro. She also did NOT want to take sleep meds but has been doing it for about 3 years now and it's made a world of difference for her.
Praying that you get answers from the clinic....
34 vials of blood? Wow! That's a lot! My mother and my best friend both have fibro. I hope you can get some help for your symptoms.
Post a Comment