I woke up a little sad that today is our last port day. BUT, it is going to be a wonderful one. I love Labadee. And the sun is shining and it will be in the 80's AND we'll get in the ocean for the first time this whole trip!!
So we woke up a little after 6, which certainly wasn't my plan since we don't get into port until 9:30. But what can you do? So we lazed around in bed for a while and then Doug went to get raspberry pastries from the WJ while I made coffee and we enjoyed that on the balcony.
So we went to the WJ to have breakfast and sat with Paula and Brian. It was about 8:30 at this point. After I finished breakfast, I went searching for a mimosa. The pool bar opens at 9, and if it's after 9 I just get my own. But before that it's hard to find somebody to make it. Last year they had somebody manning the table and made fresh juice and it was easy-peasy. This year I had to ask a server to find somebody who would find somebody and they would make it with bottled juice and felt a little annoyed to be asked. Bottled juice is fine, BUT I paid for the Ultimate drink package, so wanted fresh. Next year....not paying for that.
But anyway, I found somebody to make a mimosa for me, and I headed back to the room. Doug went to guest services to talk to Edger (guest services manager) about our room steward. I've not said much about our inexperienced, not trained well enough cabin steward. He doesn't always leave washcloths. Or hand towels. He never replaced the dirty wine glasses; he just leaves the dirty ones. At least he doesn't take them and leave me none! It is pretty annoying. We're afraid to put our used towels on the floor because when we do, he takes them, but he doesn't leave us any new ones. And he often just takes them off of the door! And still doesn't replace them. So since Doug talked to Edgar, and he assured us everything would be taken care of, I put our towels on the floor expecting we'd have towels and washcloths when we returned from the beach.
We really aren't hard people to please. On the first day we requested ice, and to always have 4 towels (not 4 new ones every day), and 2 washcloths in our room. We'd reuse them several times, fine. We don't leave our cabin a mess. We always put our clothes away, make sure the trash is in the trash can, put any dirty dishes we may have in our room all in one place and don't leave clutter around. Really the steward just needs to get ice, make up the bed, and make sure we have towels.
OK, so Doug comes back to the room and we sat on the balcony and watched while we pulled into port.
And then off we went to enjoy the day. Our plan today was to go all the way back to Columbus Cove, rent floats and relax with Labadoozies. And so we did.
It is a long pier, and a little further to walk to the tram that will drop you wherever you want to go. Doug's knees were hurting, so we slowly walked to the tram area, and he waited to catch a ride while I walked back, stopping in the market along the way to shop a little. I bought a few little things and then met Doug at the beach.
We got all set up in the shade, and I went to rent mats and off into the ocean we went :) We had a nice view for the afternoon.
Scott and Tammy were on this beach, too, so we visited with them a lot. We also didn't get pictures with them. Like I said, we took so many fewer pictures this trip. We need to be more intentional next year.
A little while later we grabbed a labadoozie and floated in the ocean while sipping our drink. A while later we had lunch. What I love about Columbus Cove is it is so much less crowded. We didn't have to wait in line for lunch, which was lovely. The beach wasn't crowded. It was just a very relaxing afternoon.
After lunch I went back to the market to buy some rum. They only had 1 bottle of our favorite, which was a little disappointing, but I snatched it up. I bought some little flasks of rum punch, too, which is delicious. It's their rum with honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Yummy. They spell it Rhum Punch.
Then back to the ocean, another labadoozie and floating in the ocean while chatting with Doug, Scott and Tammy. Pure Bliss.
About 2 we decided to head back to the ship. We both took the tram back to the pier. I stubbed my toe on the lounge chair when we first got to the beach, and it was very swollen and purple and incredibly painful, so I didn't want to walk. Then through security and the long walk up the pier. There were musicians and dancers, which is fun to watch.
So back on board we decided to shower & relax on the pool deck and enjoy as much pool deck weather as we could because it is going to be cold way too soon.
But, we didn't have enough towels or washcloths. I was so irritated. Doug was hopping mad. So he called guest relations and asked for towels to be brought RIGHT NOW! Earlier in the trip we had called and asked for towels, and they never arrived. It's day 8. We really shouldn't have to be asking for towels, right? Whomever Doug talked to knew he was mad. We had towels before I finished my shower YAY.
So we finish showering and then head to the pool :) Doug went to grab chairs in the shade while I stopped off at the Solarium bar for mudslides. So we relaxed at the pool. Doug watched football on the big screen. I forgot it was Sunday until then.
About 5 we went back to the cabin to rest a little then get ready for dinner. We collected our pictures from yesterday and waited for tonight's photo shoot. They only had one station, on the floor, and neither of us wanted to be crawling around on the floor again, so we skipped it and went to dinner.
Tonight was Italian food. I love that. I had caprese salad (which doesn't compare to Giovanni's Table), roasted garlic soup, eggplant parm and tiramisu, which was OK. Doug had shrimp cocktail, roasted garlic soup, lasagna and sticky bread pudding, which is what I should have gotten. It was delicious! Saby kept me supplied with Moscato and we enjoyed talking with Renee, Steve, and the girls.
After dinner we went to the Schooner bar. David, Joan, Dan, Susan and Joan's other friends Bonnie & Peter joined us for a while.
Grahame came in to play and everybody else left to grab seats for the 70's party that was later tonight. We listened to Grahame, and when he went on break, we talked with him for a while, and then decided about 10:15 to make our way to the room. We watched the 70's party from Deck 6. The party was on Deck 4 in the Centrum
Then we headed back to the room. No snacks or drinks on the balcony tonight. We were snacked and drinked out. I was hoping it would be nice the next night so we could enjoy our nightcap.
But we did want to sit on the balcony. So I opened the door and saw a GIANT shadow on the ground. It looked, to me, like a bat! I have a bit of bat PTSD since I was bit by one in 2011 (rabies shots and all; it was a little traumatic). So of course I ran screaming into the room and slammed the door (as much as you can slam those heavy doors lol).
Doug went out to investigate what it could possibly be. It was a GIANT moth. I mean GIANT! If it weren't so dark, we would have gotten a picture. But Doug killed it and then it was safe to go outside lol. We sat outside for a good while and then went to sleep. It was an absolutely perfect day. Floating on a mat in the ocean in Labadee drinking Labadoozies is the best way to spend a December day!
Our last towel animal was a snail. I'd never seen the snail before.



No comments:
Post a Comment