What a difference a day makes. We woke up to sunshine, warmth and smooth seas. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous day.
I woke up at 7 and Doug was gone. He had gotten me coffee and left it for me and went to find people to talk to. This is the last day that I tried to have morning coffee. I sat on the balcony and wrote in my journal. We did so much, and I didn't want to forget anything, although I couldn't possibly get it all written down.
I woke up at 7 and Doug was gone. He had gotten me coffee and left it for me and went to find people to talk to. This is the last day that I tried to have morning coffee. I sat on the balcony and wrote in my journal. We did so much, and I didn't want to forget anything, although I couldn't possibly get it all written down.
We went to Portofinos for breakfast, which is a perk of having a suite. It is such a beautiful restaurant. You order from a menu, but they also have a small buffet with pastries, fresh fruit and meat and cheese. I ordered eggs Benedict. It was delicious! Doug had an omelet and potatoes. He said it was really good. It became our standard breakfast.
After breakfast we went up to deck 12 to lie in the sun. I didn't realize how warm it was. It was absolutely gorgeous! It got warm, so we headed down to the pool deck, 11, and found some shade.
We also found Berry, one of the finest bar servers around! The drink of the day was a Miami Vice (which is a strawberry pina colada). So of course we needed a couple of those! Berry added the rum, told Doug to drink the drinks, topped it off with more rum and then every time he walked by filled our glasses with rum. They were very generous with the rum!
They were very, very tasty drinks and became a favorite!
The Calypso band played for a while. I really enjoyed listening to them by the pool most days.
Dwayne, he is the other fabulous bar server. They took care of us at the pool and in the theater. They knew what we wanted and often had them made and to us before we even found a seat. They work hard and are very good at what they do!!
Doug lounging in the shade.
It's tiring to lounge by the pool....so we headed to the room for a nap. Well, I napped and Doug tried his hand at the penny slots. He came out $2 ahead :)
Doug didn't caer for the dessert selections, so our waiter went to the WJ and got him ice cream and sponge cake. Great service!
Our professional picture for the night and one of me on the steps that Doug took.
After dinner we came back to the room to change and head to the 50s & 60s sock hop party in the Maharajah Lounge.
Marvin
The sock hop was a great time. Lots of people dancing. Marvin, the activities director, organized a twist dance challenge. The crew handed out key chains to people they thought were great dancers. Those people were asked to be part of the twist challenge.
So there were 5 teams and a lady that needed a partner. This other lady encouraged her husband to go dance with her. So he did. So these 6 teams each took turns doing the twist and then the audience was going to vote with applause.
Tragically, during the voting part, the guy who danced with the gal that needed a partner fell over. Nurses from the audience ran over to him and immediately called for the paddles. It wasn't good. His wife was sitting in the middle of the floor hysterical. The nurses were calling for the doctor. They were doing CPR. People were hovering all around.
Tragically, during the voting part, the guy who danced with the gal that needed a partner fell over. Nurses from the audience ran over to him and immediately called for the paddles. It wasn't good. His wife was sitting in the middle of the floor hysterical. The nurses were calling for the doctor. They were doing CPR. People were hovering all around.
Finally the crew got control and cleared the room. They worked on him for a good long time, but he didn't make it. My heart was broken for his wife. It was such a tragic, tragic thing.
We ended up going up to the pool deck for air. It was very windy. I was queasy and the sea was rough. So we went to the room so I could take ginger. It was about an hour after we left the Maharajah Lounge that Doug went to the Cafe Promenade to get a sandwich. He happened to be there just as they were wheeling this man's body out on a covered gurney. Very, very sad :(
We ended up going up to the pool deck for air. It was very windy. I was queasy and the sea was rough. So we went to the room so I could take ginger. It was about an hour after we left the Maharajah Lounge that Doug went to the Cafe Promenade to get a sandwich. He happened to be there just as they were wheeling this man's body out on a covered gurney. Very, very sad :(
So we sat on our balcony for a while, watched the late night early morning show on tv and went to bed. It was turn the clocks ahead an hour night. My heart was heavy and I just laid in bed and prayed for that dear lady. What a tragic end to a fabulous day.

3 comments:
I have been on two cruises that had medical emergencies -- but never something as tragic as this. My heart goes out to that lady and their family, and to everyone that witnessed it. It makes you realize just how fragile life is and how God has written every moment of every day down already. Every day is a gift and we must live life that way.
Oh Kelly that was awful about the husband. The poor wife.
Otherwise sounds like a great day.
So you are a 2 fisted drinker--I saw the proof. LOL. So sad for that lady.
Post a Comment