Hearty Potato Soup
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, diced
6 celery ribs, sliced
2 qts. water
1 onion, chopped
6 T butter
6 T flour (I used soft white whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. milk (I use FF organic)
In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
In the same kettle, saute onion in butter untiol soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add cooking liquid, 1 c. at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
YIELD: about 3 quarts. 1 c. = 4 WW points
Bread Bowls
1/2 c. water
1 c. warm milk
2 T butter, melted
2T sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
Combine milk, butter, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl and allow to sit until foamy. Whisk in 2 c. flour and salt for 2 min. Gradually add remaining 2 c. flour and stir until dough forms a ball.
Turn onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
Punch down and divide dough into 6 balls. Place on greased baking stones (cookie sheets), cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with beaten egg.
Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
YIELD: 6 bread bowls; 1 BB = 8 WW points.
7 comments:
Believe me the soup is out of this world, she gave me (grandma) some of it along with the bread bowl. She is so good to me. but if she gives a receipe try it because I have never known her to have a bad soup day. Grndmb
I'm glad you liked it Gram :)
Gramma is the one that is good to ME! She let Isaac spend the past 4 days with her. He loves to hang with his great-gram. He did tell me he has to get used to hugging short people since he is SO much taller than you now (over a foot taller!).
That looks YUMMY!
Soup looks yummy too bad Dave doesn't care for cream soups. Hope to see ya Thursday
The soup looks great!
And so does the recipe for the bread bowls. I plan to try both - and soon - it is cold here, too. :)
Laura in MO/SHS
ok,you don't know me,but I love reading your blog,(you just need to do it more)grins!
I tryed this recipe,and the soup was fantastic! But my Bread bowls were a different story...I followed the directions and it didn't turn out,when I checked it again, it called for egg and maybe water,not sure,but they weren't in the list of how to add etc.,will you check it and let me know,I really want to make those! Thanks
We LOVE potato soup. Thanks for the WW recipe.
Post a Comment