Crusty French Bread. My family loves this recipe! I made it with white flour today. It is good mixed 1/2 white and 1/2 ww. I cannot get it to turn out for the family (I like it) with 100% whole wheat. They were happy for "regular" bread lol.
Crusty French Bread
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water (110-115*) divided
1 T sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 T shortening, melted
4 c. flour
Cornmeal
In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Add sugar, salt, shortening and remaining water; stir until dissolved. Add flour and stir until smooth (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
Turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 10"x8" rectangle. Roll up from long side; pinch to seal.
Place seam side down on greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle the tops with cornmeal.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 min.
With a very sharp knive, make five diagonal cuts across the top of each loaf.
Bake at 400* for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.
This is my favorite quick yeast bread. I love that there is no kneading and I can have it finished by lunch. I hope you enjoy it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment