Naps!
Who doesn't love a cozy nap on a cool, rainy day? Naps have become a regular part of my routine the past couple years, since being daignosed with fibromyalgia. It is the first I've had regular naps since the boys were babies/toddlers and preschoolers (all at the same time even!).
I often feel guilty about naps. I'm not talking a 20 min. power nap. No siree Bob, I am talking at least an hour, 2-3 hours on bad days (such as today). So I feel guilty. I could be doing so much more during the afternoon. Grading schoolwork, reading to my kids, playing games, or taking them somewhere. In the summer, we do go places, and I nap where we are at. The park or beach or whatever. Thankfully they are old enough to not need constant supervision and they wake me all the time.
But today I discovered a wonderful reason to take a nap! I am preserving my heart! That's right. According to a blurb in The Reader's Digest, "Folks who take regular naps lower their risk of dying from heart diseas by 37%"!
What better reason to lie down with a book and take a snooze? I am reducing my risk of heart disease! Plus it is cozy and fun, too!
2 comments:
Kelly,
Ive read that napping is good for your heart as well. Even short cat naps are supposed to be good. The reason they say is because napping decreases stress in our lives. That's why people in other countries have siestas! Happy Napping! I usually lay down for at least 20 minutes per day, sometimes im not totally asleep, but I wake up feeling much better and energized! When I don't get my nap, people notice!!!LOL
I read the same report and no longer feel guilty about napping! I do the 25 minute power nap though. I set the alarm for 30 minutes and always wake up right at 25. It's just enough boost to get me through the rest of the day.
Post a Comment