Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I serve this with brown rice and cornbread. All but my pickiest eater like it! Jordan thinks it could be spicier, so perhaps I'll add chili powder next time??


Venezuelan Black Beans

2 c. (1 lb.) dried black beans
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. beef or vegetable bouillon granules
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (I used fresh garlic)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
I also used some Pampered Chef Southwest seasoning

Soak beans overnight OR place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 min. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender.

Drain beans and reserve 2 cups of liquid. Return beans and reserved liquid to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. remove half the bean mixture and mash well (I never do this); return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans reach desired consistency.

YIELD: 12 servings

1/2 c. = 2 WW points

No comments: