Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This is a family favorite. I've not yet tried to make it whole wheat, but it is on my list of things to do! Oh yes, I no longer bake it with the water in the oven. I just put the loaves on a Pampered Chef stone and they are crusty enough for me.

Cheesy Italian Bread

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 c. warm water (110-115*)
2 T sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder (I am going to try fresh next time)
1/2 c. grated Romano cheese
3 to 3 1/2 c. flour

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Add salt, garlic powder, cheese and 2 c. of flour; beat until smooth (I do this all by hand). Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Please in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each half into a 14" loaf. Place on an ungreased baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 min. Brush loaves with water. Make three diagonal slashes about 1/2 in. deep with a very sharp knife in each loaf. Fill a 9x13 inch baking pan with 1" of hot water and place on the bottom oven rack. Preheat oven to 400*. Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes. Remove to wire racks.

YIELD: 2 loaves (16 loaves each)
There are 18 points per loaf so about 1 point per serving.

No comments: